Radon is a naturally-occurring radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. Radon gas has no smell, color or taste. Radon is naturally in the atmosphere in trace amounts. Outdoors, radon disperses rapidly and, generally, is not a health issue. Most radon exposure occurs inside homes, schools and workplaces. Radon gas becomes trapped indoors after it enters buildings through cracks and other holes in the foundation. Indoor radon can be controlled and managed with proven, cost-effective techniques.
Breathing radon over time increases your risk of lung cancer. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. Nationally, the EPA estimates that about 21,000 people die each year from radon-related lung cancer. Only smoking causes more lung cancer deaths.
You can take steps to reduce and control the amount of radon in your home. The only way to know radon levels is to have a professional test your home. Testing for radon should be done regularly and also before and after big structural renovations. Contact me today and let an expert deal with it.